Participants will be appropriately social distanced!
In April 2021 we are offering the following Critical Incident Stress Management Classes:
*1. Emotional and Spiritual Care in Disasters
*2. Group Crisis Intervention
April 30-May 1, 2021 (Friday/Saturday) - You must attend all hours, both days, to get a certificate. Registration DEADLINE is April 1, 2021. See credit card registration link or downloadable form at the bottom of this page.
Friday - 9:30am - 6pm (lunch provided);
Saturday - 8am to 2:30pm (lunch provided)
Baptist Building, 10 Remington Drive, Little Rock, AR
Driving Directions to the Baptist Building (PDF file)
$50 for members of ABSC churches, $95 for others (Online Registration is LIVE at the bottom of this page. OR, download the paper registration at the bottom of this page and mail a check.)
1. Course Descripton: Emotional and Spiritual Care in Disasters - Instructor: Greg Young
(NOTE: For those aiming to become an Arkansas Baptist Disaster Relief Chaplain, this is the CISM course you want to take. For more information on other pre-requisites about DR Chaplaincy, contact Keturah Quimby.)
The purpose of this course is to enhance the skills of clergy, chaplains, mental health professionals, and trained crisis responders to provide effective emotional and spiritual care to meet the disaster related needs of disaster responders and disaster affected families and individuals within disaster operations by integrating CISM principles, interventions, and practical care. Upon completion of this course the participant will be able to:
- Articulate the role of the ES (Emotional and Spiritual) caregiver from one’s own faith tradition and the elements of ESC (Emotional and Spiritual Care) provided in a pluralistic disaster environment,
- Clearly define the role and function of the ES caregiver within the Incident Command System and disaster relief operation,
- Identify the physical, psychological, emotional, interpersonal, and spiritual impact of disasters,
- Provide emotional and spiritual care to disaster survivors, first responders, and relief workers through a multifaceted range of ESC interventions,
- Assess one’s own suitability to provide ESC within the trauma and disaster context, and
- Identify a personal self-care plan for maintaining one’s own emotional, physical, and spiritual health during deployment.
This course is designed for trained clergy, chaplains, mental health professionals, and CISM trained crisis responders who desire to enhance their skills in providing Emotional and Spiritual Care to survivors of disaster and trauma. Suggested but not mandatory prerequisites: Individual Crisis Intervention & Peer Support; Group Crisis Intervention; Pastoral Crisis Intervention.
This is a 14 contact hour, two-day course.
Attendees must be present for the entire course to receive a certificate of attendance.
2. Course Description: Group Crisis Intervention - Instructor Sterling Claypoole
This course is designed to present the core elements of a comprehensive, systematic and multi-component crisis intervention curriculum. This two-day course prepares participants to understand a wide range of crisis support services, on-scene support services, crisis intervention for individuals, demobilizations after large scale traumatic incidents, small group defusings and the group crisis intervention known as Critical Incident Stress Debriefing. This course specifically prepares participants to provide several of these interventions, demobilizations, defusings, crisis management briefings, and Critical Incident Stress Debriefings, (CISD). The need for appropriate follow up services and referrals when necessary is also described.
This course is designed for anyone in the fields of Business & Industry Crisis Intervention, Disaster Response, Education, Emergency Services, Employee Assistance, Healthcare, Homeland Security, Mental Health, Military, Spiritual Care, and Traumatic Stress.
This is a 14 contact hour, two day class.
Attendees must be present for the entire course to receive a certificate.
Pay by credit card or e-check Register ONLINE HERE
Pay by check: download the paper/mail-in form HERE.