Big Day Christmas
Christmas is almost here! The Sunday before Christmas is a “Big Day” for many churches, when attendance is higher than normal and there is an exceptional spirit of celebration in the worship service. Consider capitalizing on the Sunday before Christmas in an effort to reach out to the unchurched in your community by:
- Praying for and inviting unchurched friends, neighbors, co-workers, and family members to the special Christmas service.
- Getting ready for guests in a way that ensures a warm welcome.
- Planning the worship service carefully.
- Sharing the Gospel simply and clearly.
- Giving a clear opportunity to respond to the Gospel message.
- Following up with guests who attended.
You may wish to form a team that oversees the church’s efforts at making the Sunday before Christmas a “Big Day.” In addition to the elements above, your church may wish to think of other ways to make the day special such as:
- Creating a Christmas backdrop where family photos can be taken. Ask each family to provide contact information so that you can email the photo later, thus providing an excellent opportunity for follow-up.
- Providing breakfast during Sunday School/Life Groups or providing hot chocolate, coffee, donuts, and cookies upon arrival.
- Providing adhesive nametags for everyone so that worshipers can avoid the anxiety of not knowing names.
- Baking Christmas treats to give guests as they leave.
As followers of Christ, we joyfully celebrate Jesus’ birth. Many around us have little or no understanding about the significance of Christmas. Consider how your church can bring “good tidings of great joy” to those who need the hope of Jesus! For more information about “Getting Ready for Your Big Day,” visit absc.org/bigday or contact the Evangelism and Church Health Team at (800) 376-4791, ext. 5128 or email@example.com.